Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Revival

The definition for revival is:
  1. restoration to life, consciousness, vigor, strength, etc.,
  2. a showing of an old motion picture,
  3. an awakening, in a church or community, of interest in and care for matters relating to personal religion.

This spring I was really excited about planting flowers around my house. I bought and planted the flowers, and I was diligent about weeding and watering. There was a week where I started slacking off. I would only water them about 2-3 times a week, and I gave up weeding all together. About mid-July, I was pretty certain I failed as a gardener. Most of the flowers dried up and died; there were just a few shabby plants left with no blooms. One afternoon, I decided to try to revive the remaining flowers I had left. I plucked the dead blooms, weeded, and watered. I kept it up for a week, and still no blooms. I kept at it, thinking at least I'll have some type of greenery around my house even if it wasn't much. Then one morning, I nocticed that many of my petunias bloomed! I was so excited that I had to take a picture before they went away.
Maddie helping me take care of the flowers.

I was very optimistic, and I kept taking care of the flowers that lived. Day by day, they became fuller and bigger. A few other types of flowers revived as well.


This last weekend I have felt a revival in my spirit as my flowers felt a revival.

I love General Conference for so many reasons. Latter Day Saints from around the world are gathered together for a singular purpose, to listen to a prophet's voice. It is a time to be with family and other members. I love the music of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. We get to sustain our Prophet, Apostles, and other General Authorities. But my favorite part of General Conference is the Spirit I feel, helping me realize what I need to do better. Every six months, I have a resolve to do a little better. In a sense, I am revived! I am now trying to keep the spirit of progress for my whole life, not only a week after General Conference. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ and I try to live by it. I hope we can all try to progress every day.

3 comments:

  1. That was a great post, I loved General Conference as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great thoughts and fun pictures. I like your flowers and I, too, love conference. We are pretty lucky to have a living prophet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. Just like the flowers if we just slack off for a little while, and do nothing we stop growing too. I feel very blessed to have the council from a living prophet. Cute pictures.

    ReplyDelete